Singapore Flyer

We were here


This is all the rage since the launch on 1st Mar 08. There was much publicity and even my girl got some education regarding our very own singapore flyer from her teacher. She could quote me facts about it being the highest flyer in the world at 165 metres, but would soon be ousted by the Great Beijing Wheel in 2009. She had been like nagging me to bring her take a ride, saying that it was very "worth" it. Hrmph.

Ticketing booth from the carpark


Anyway, I was curious too, and wanted to try something different. So in the guise of checking it out, I drove to the location, parked my car and did a recee around the area. Thinking what the heck, I proceeded to the ticketing and was told that there was a promotion till the end of this month, and for every 2 adults, 2 kids can ride for free! Wah, that was some mightly GSS kind of discount, and I decided to bring Era too for the ride. Therefore, I bought tickets for the evening thinking to return again.

The children were all of cos very excited about it. Well, if I were a kid, I would be too. This is the one of the kind wonder that we are talking about. I then drove back to the north, picked the other monkey up, and then back again to the flyer.

Crossing the bridge to the actual location


Another ticketing booth here


At 6pm, the queue was like okay. But on the return, we were shocked that the queue was snakily long. Stretching from one end of the bridge to the other. This flyer thing must be one hell of a popular ride.

It was required that we need to be 15 minutes earlier for the ride, as there were some security clearance to be done before hopping onto the carriage. Well, with that Mas Selemat running loose, better to be safe than sorry.

All the shopping you can do here


Everything strung together by these 2 poles


Interesting shops here


This shop provides small fishes to eat your dead skin from your smelly leg (poor fishes)


Is your bag a bomb? Are you Mas Selamat?


Yippe, my $30 ticket


Our tin can capsule


Almost there


The entire Singapore Flyer area was built atop on a 3 level shopping facility, with the carpark across the road, linked over by a bridge. The capsule itself was quite stable and roomy. We had thought that it might be quite scarey looking down from the rather transparent carriage. But it wasn't so. In fact, some were complaining that it was quite boring.

Better than LTA's traffic camera


The group that is stuck together for 30 minutes


Singapore's famous business district


So high!






Hmm...that screw looks loose


When I grow up, I want to stay there


Views from the top




Google map view


No...eh, what?


The ride was a slow one, scheduled to take about 30 minutes for the full round. So bit by bit, the carriage got higher and higher. At the peak of the ride, it would be about 42 storeys high. Although it was rather nice, it was nothing to shout about. From that dizzling height, I could see all my fishing spots rather clearly. :P

Very soon, it was on the downward trip, and then it was over. After that, it was some shopping around the area, which was done up nicely to make more money from the commercialization efforts. Overall, I thought the ride was just a so so. But it was a good experience for the kids, as it was probably the highest yet they have been. For me, I had ever been on top of a 69 floor building, and well, that view was much nicer. Nevertheless, it was a good opportunity to have experience our very own flyer.

Fake postcard pictures. They took a group photo over a blue screen and "photoshop" us in, and wanted to sell us for $10 a piece.


Singapore flyer


Want to get a flyer on your head?


Cave of the Yakult rainforest


CJ7 was here


Queue before you fly!


As mentioned, on the return to the carpark, the queue was comparable to a CNY 4D queue.

Comments

hamstress said…
DId you enjoy the ride? I bought a 1-yr open ticket for my family. Planning to go one of the weekends and take the 6:30pm ride. The queue worries me. Old ppl got priviledge? Bringing my in-laws to try out too! :)
nafishnafish said…
Ride was ok. But once a year is more than enough. Definitely exciting for children. I think the queue is longer in the evening. Go earlier before the actual boarding time. Old folks should be ok to cut queue. ;)
Yewty@hmc said…
about $1 per min not cheap hor ? wait for promotion then go...or when the share market dropped ? ha,,ha,,

or... to wait for special occasion ie. birthday, anne, etc then go for a ride.
nafishnafish said…
This is the promotion not to be missed :O. 2 more days. (till 30th Apr 08)
Yewty@hmc said…
too bad this offer not applicable to me....I got no young kids ! ha..ha...all to pay 29.5

Popular Posts